Friday, March 30, 2012

Symptoms of Depression During Pregnancy


Aside from the Wedding day, Pregnancy's supposed to be one of the happiest times of a woman's life. But in reality, sometimes there is time of confusion, a place for fear, a feeling of sadness, a part of stress, a period of mood swings and even depression. After knowing the risk factors and possible triggers of depression during pregnancy, it is important to know the symptoms of this biological disease during pregnancy. Is it just light mood swings or depression?

There are a lot of signs and symptoms that you must be aware of especially when it takes longer than two weeks or more before settling which includes:
  • Persistent sadness, feeling blue, sad or empty for most of the day that takes longer than mood swings does
  • Difficulty concentrating (although pregnant's brain shrinks a little bit)
  • Sleeping too little, trouble sleeping or sleeping too much even after the first trimester
  • Loss of interest in activities that you usually enjoy and all you wanna do is lie down in bed or a sense that nothing is enjoyable or fun anymore
  • thoughts of death, suicide, or hopelessness (pregnant tend to have weird dreams, and I mean WEIRD)
  • Anxiety, extreme irritability, agitation and excessive crying
  • Feelings of inappropriate guilt or feeling of worthlessness and hopelessness
  • Change in eating habits, a desire to eat all the time or not eat at all
  • Feeling extremely tired and always fatigue
Normally, healthy preggers experience fatigue and trouble sleeping but when they're combined with a sense of sadness, hopelessness or emptiness, it interfere with the ability to function and live like you used to. On my case, I think it's not extreme, maybe its just an ordinary everyday stress + pregnancy + mood swings = thought I had depression.

Then again, some may be confuse about depression and bipolar disorder. Remember, bipolar disorder is mood swings with cycles of depression or feeling low with periods of an abnormally high spirits like super energized, increased activity, little need to sleep or eat, racing thoughts, inappropriate social behavior, or poor judgment.

However, if you're experiencing panic attacks that includes frequent unnecessary concerns about your baby's health, a feeling that something bad might happen with heart pulsation, light-headed, sweaty palms and feet, breathlessness and or feeling that you might pass out or faint, you might be having anxiety.
And if you feel your unable to handle the situation anymore, you can't bear your responsibilities and/or having thoughts of harming yourself or the baby, it is important to seek help, call your OB, a close friend you could rely on or a family member. This will show that you're willing to accept help and take necessary actions to keep yourself and your little angel safe and healthy.

The key is "don't worry too much", women of all centuries get pregnant and turned out fine. Depression is one of the mood disorder that even non preggers experience in their lifetime at some point so it should not be a surprise if you're experiencing it now that you are pregnant. :) It can be treated and managed most especially during pregnancy but the first step which is the most relevant part of fighting this illness is to seek help and support.

Watch out for my next post as I tackle on how I avoid and lessen mood swing, anxiety and depression during this time of pregnancy. :)

34 comments:

  1. There are so many factors to depression during pregnancy but mostly yung physical changes ang nakaka affect sa mga soon to be Moms. Thanks for the very informative post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about this some time... and indeed, having a relaxed environment as well as mentally eliminating the stresses will promote a healthy pregnancy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If an expectant mom experiences these, she should really get help as depression is a serious concern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmn... i guess i was lucky not to experience any of this during my pregnance...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that this could happen to preggy women. I just though that what you are discussing on the first part is postpartum depression. When i read the whole thing, it just different and mainly for preggy women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why at this stage, the support of family and the husband is very important. Pregnant women needs extra love and care to make them feel it will be okay and that she is love more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a lot too about depression and all the physical and psychological changes of women during pregnancy. You are right, pregnant women should not worry too much and look within her heart what makes her happy and think of positive thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also read those from books I kept when I was pregnant. You are right, just think of happy thoughts and not to worry too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one of the main culprits is the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. Yeah, blame the hormones (just like when we're PMSing! There are really moments that pregnant women gets really erratic. Then again, every woman is unique therefore not all experience this. This reminds me of the movie I watched recently, What to Expect When You're Expecting. One pregger is so stressed out while the other is so peachy and pretty! I recommend it to all who's expecting, of course!

    Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm learning a lot from your articles ms. gerilen, can't wait for your next post...
    ingat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I'm a new follower from BC Bloggers and would love a follow back at www.sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and Pinterest. I follow all my Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm lucky I didn't suffer from depression during my pregnancy or after them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that is the key, don't worry too much or don't worry at all :) to avoid depression. Anyway, God is just a kneel away :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pre/Post natal depression is common, and it is wise you arm yourself with some of the facts. More importantly, it is also to surround yourself with good family support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! This is informative. I need to recommend your blog to my pregnant sister.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pregnant women do go through some roller coaster feelings but I guess support from the family is a big factor. Am thankful I didn't go through that with my 2 pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that you should not worry too much when you'r pregnant. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had slight PPD with my recent delivery. It went on for two weeks but with the love of family and self-help too I was able to recover.Thanks for this informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. let's blame the hormones! nothing to depress about, you're bless that you will be soon to be mommy..

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is nice to know, specially for women in general, and pregnant ones in particular. Looking forward to the next post on how to avoid depression or how to manage it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. depression? good thing I never experienced them even though I looked like monster during my pregnancy. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yikes! I need a good husband for this. :D He is the best medicine that I can have when I will be a mom soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think fathers-to-be should also know these things for them to support their wife during pregnancy.
    -daddy allan (visit from BCB)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what a very nice post. I cannot still relate but this is very helpful. I can really make use of reading this one... crossing my fingers na sana pag nagbuntis ako wala naman masyadong depression sana.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never did suffer from depression during pregnancy and after giving birth. I wish I could say that it is all in the mind, but it is a serious condition and it is real.

    Marie here of Baguio City (http://www.mommyunwired.com/) getting acquainted with the BC Bloggers community

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wishing and hoping this won't happen to me when the day comes. Looking forward for the next article. Learning a lot from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I say it is just the hormones talking. Ueme-epal si hormones. hehehe
    I do hope depressed pregnant women will find ways to cope after reading this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am also blessed that I did not feel any depression during my 5 pregnancies. Though I think there were times that I feel blue but I don't consider it really as depression.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I suffered severe post partum depression after my first pregnancy. I've had bouts with depression before but the one post partum was the worst. I wasn't able to handle well the loss of my daughter and could not take care of her twin either. I felt like such a failure as a mom. But that's all in the past now. My kids make me laugh every single day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am thankful I didn't suffer depression during my pregnancy although I already have a doubt that my former boyfriend will abandon us

    ReplyDelete
  31. i'm wondering what will be the feeling when I conceive a child.. that would be full of emotions.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. As far as I know, there is something called post natal and pre natal depression right? Something pregnant women and their relatives should taken care of seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  33. great post post there Gerilen... my wife's having our second baby right now actually, though she doesn't have these symptoms so far as of now, I still forwarded the link of your post to her. she had no problem in our first baby and we hope to have that to happen again this time. :)

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete