Monday, October 15, 2012

My Embarrassing Moment of Breastfeeding


This was actually my entry to Chronicles of a Nursing Mom contest, I collage my photos because this is where my embarrassing story is all about.

I breastfeed everywhere! No problem when we're at home but the challenge always starts when we have to go out...

 

I don't shy away in breastfeeding my newborn. I'm actually proud of it, and I wanna be a good example for moms and future moms out there that you could still look fab and decent even when breastfeeding in the public. lol Nothing to be ashamed of! Yet I learned that  Nothing to be ashamed of! means you have to breastfeed your babe with helpers that won't fail you.

By helpers, i refer to nursing bras, cover ups and the likes.

On my photo, I didn't wear a nursing bra (actually, i don't have a nursing bra yet) and i don't have a decent cover up. It's my babe's first monthly check up and its windy outside. Since we're in a public/crowded place (pedia's clinic inside the mall) I had a hard time! Balancing him out inside my not so steady cover up especially while walking! its awkward to maintain my position, leveling his head on my breast while making sure his nose aren't covered and my boob is not exposed (personally, that's the decent part of breastfeeding publicly, NO EXPOSURE) all at the same time. And as I mentioned, its windy, so the cover up (idk the proper term) always gets out of the place, exposing everything!

I decided to use a cloth-pin and oh yes its still quite embarrassing! But at least I wont worry about the thing flying around. Some would comment, nice thinking! Smiling back at them, I know deep inside how weird-looking I am and as I'm more self-conscious than ever, no, i don't take their side unsolicited comments as compliments, its more like mocking to me.

Gah! But I just think/remind to myself, who cares? Me? I must not focus on me, I realized that I should continue nursing my babe and give his needs (breastmilk) anytime anywhere he wants it, because no one but me can give his needs.

I smile whenever I remember how he love my embrace. And how hypnotic my breastfeeding to him. I think he feels secured when he could feel my bosom and smell my mommy-ness. hee hee

15 comments:

  1. congrats to you for being able to breastfeed!!! :-) that's one of my frustrations... kinda nice to have a very helpful hubby but it has its downsides din... masyado syang ngworry at tinimplahan ng formula milk kaya ayun! ayaw ng dumede sa akin hehehe

    keep it up mommy!!! :-) good thing you're in manila, a lot of places have breastfeeding friendly nooks already... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when i was still nursing my son i used cloth to cover my breast..breastfeeding in public places can be embarrassing but then who cares..hehehhe.. buti ngayon may mga breastfeeding station na..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that you were able to breastfeed your baby. Our son haven't got a fulltime in breastfeeding.
    -BCB 10/16

    ReplyDelete
  4. check out Indigobaby's Boncho. i won one last month and i think that would be a big help for breastfeeding moms like you :) i love it even if i'm not a nursing mom coz it can be worn in different ways too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to breastfeed my son pero kaso parang walang gatas na lumalabas sa didi ko kaya no choice ako but to use formula milk. Happy for you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it is not shameful and i congrats you for that successful breatfeeding

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can try the baby bond mommy. I find it very helpful to discretely breastfeeding in public :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, I agree! There's nothing wrong with breastfeeding. Actually the country is promoting it. For me, it's not shameful at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think nowadays there is a breastfeeding station on every mall (sm malls). promote breastfeeding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have 2 nursing covers to use when I am out. But you can try with a shawl if you don't have the chance to get your nursing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's good that breastfeeding nowadays are encouraged and there are now breastfeeding stations in the malls and some offices... you're right moms shouldn't be ashamed because they're giving the needs of their babies which only them can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think malls should have a private area for mommies and babies. A small room for changing of diapers and breastfeeding would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on breastfeeding your child!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay to breastfeeding. Sarap ng feeling nag nagpapabreastfeed. Its a very magical experience with our babies kaya tama ka we have to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you are and your baby. You get to exclusively breastfeed him. I really want to breastfeed before but since I am a first time mom and I don't get to read about breastfeeding that much, I failed. But I promise that the next time I will have a baby, I will be breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete