Wednesday, March 9, 2016

MBF: Gender Bias

When I was in college, my professor in Environmental Engineering told us to describe how engineering could impact the environment. First day of class and we were bombarded with circumstances that are important in failures not just of the structures, but due to itself, too. Actually, ngayon ko lang naisip na in designing, we can't really create something that will not fail. We just have to see the worst case scenario and do a backup plan: reversing/preventing/delaying the damage. Sabi ng prof ko, kailangan daw mas matibay ang concrete sa bakal, para kapag nag-earthquake, mauunang magfail ang steel bars, may chance pang mag evacuate before pa magkaroon ng massive falling of debris.
For a full 15 minutes, he let us wander in our thoughts - search through every deep nooks and crannies of our brain, figuring out the circumstances, important failures that have had far-reaching impacts not just on the civil engineering practice, but on the environment too. He choses a random essay who generally use the word "he" to describe humanity, and bias daw ang writer. May mga babae sa klase niya. (Tatlo kami.) At, sa bandang huli, right after reading the piece, nagulat siya na babae pala ang nagsulat - ako. Mag-eexplain sana ako eh, pero hindi na, I let it go. Buti na lang hindi niya binanggit name ko while reading my essay aloud.

Case in point? I prefer males, not just in gender but in general, maybe because I consider myself an opportunist? Yes, I think so, too. There used (still is) to be more privileges for the gentlemen and I, as a female in a sea of men, was a small victory. Men have breasts but not forced to wear bras. Nope, this is not a #freethenipples campaign nor I'm into it, too. But that's just one of the issues. (Or was I on the verge of becoming a feminist? Yes, I think so, too.) It's like, standing out there is to prove that men can do, women can do better. Engineering, pagha-hollow blocks, plumbing - even better. (...Until I have sons.) So now, I prefer, men can do, women can and will, too. Feminism wants gender equality, tapos kapag hindi tumayo si kuya sa bus para paupuin si ateng nakatayo, chivalry is dead, agad agad! Of course it is! It cannot logically coexist with gender equality. (See, sometimes, perspective change, you just need time. Having sons balanced my point of view in this matter.) Of course, I'm not there to compete. To be a woman and compete with men is a fallacy - at least that is what I believe. And to compete with other women (although this is a very different topic) is a waste of life force. Goodness! Moving on...
I'm just so happy that women are changing the game. *fistbump mga teh!
I mean, March as International Women's Month with shopping sales here and there, free makeover on the counter, free rides on the MRT Station (regardless whether the queue was too long) is a good step forward! I also like joining women's club who aim on helping out other women (not tearing them down - hello chismosa, kerida, inggitera!) Being part of online communities like ilovebdj.com is one of the ways to power up! In line with this, I would like to invite you to the first ever BDJ Women’s Summit!
12729032_10154383533493912_8369253714924301788_n.jpg
Happening this April 16 at Samsung Hall, SM Aura! The theme of this event is Women Helping Women—an idea that's part of the vision of BDJ (Belle de Jour Power Planner) in empowering all Filipinas to make a change and make the impossible possible.
Join us in engaging discussions toward current relevant issues faced by women today! Save the date and prepare yourself to be inspired from advocates and change-makers who will uplift, motivate and spark action.#BDJWomensSummit #BDJat10
Now, I actually enjoy my womanhood - I look forward in indulging on my PMS cravings, I respect the menses - hands down. These saggy orbs from breastfeeding and my abdominal incision are looking badass, I love it! I will never have a daughter in this lifetime but I'm busy honing little gentlemen to becoming good individuals with deep respect towards women.
I'll end this post with 99 words for boobs. Seriously.
A song about words for boobs, 99 words to be specific
Jugs and orbs and darts and gourds
Elmer Fudds and bouncing Buddhas
Sweater stretchers, lung protectors
Beach umbrellas, frost detectors
Scooby Snacks and snake-eyes dice
Jell-o molds and high-beam lights
Every day I probably use
99 words for boobs
Humpty Dumplings, Hardy Boys
Double lattes, Ode to Joys
Hooters, shooters, physics tutors
Bobbsey Twins and bald commuters
Double-WMD's
MRE's and PFD's
Snow-white dwarfs, Picasso cubes
99 words for boobs
Gerber servers, holy grails
Whoopee cushions, humpback whales
Flying saucers, traffic stoppers
Super Big Gulps, Double Whoppers
Pillows, billows, Don DeLillos
Soft-serve cones and armadillos
Pimped-out hubcaps, inner tubes
99 words for boobs
Midget earmuffs, warming globes
Strobes and probes and frontal lobes
Knockers, honkers, knicker bonkers
Smurfs and Screaming Yellow Zonkers
Tannin' cannons, Mister Bigs
Big bad wolves and Porky Pigs
Jogging partners, saline noobs
99 words for boobs
Two-point jumpers, Bambi's Thumpers
Rubber baby buggy bumpers
Rutabagas, Chi Omegas
Schwag the showgirls show in Vegas
Congo bongos, bowling pins
Fast-pitch softballs, siamese twins
Thos are 99 words for boobs
by illestemia March 07, 2009
Happy International Women’s Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment