Monday, May 16, 2016

Mommy Mundo Expo Find: Caltrate Plus (Calcium + Vitamin D3 + Minerals)

One of the things I liked about attending the Mommy Mundo Expo aside from the talks, were the free consultations. And in this blogpost, I’ll be sharing to you one of my latest finds, the Caltrate Plus from Pfizer.

I don’t hate milk, but I’m not a fan. And guess what? I recently was diagnosed with Thoracic Levoscoliosis and now, through Mommy Mundo Expo Mom, I learned that I have Osteopenia! Add that to my lifetime mild Beta Thalassemia, post Patent Doctus Arteriosis surgery syndrome and the fact that I got an emergency Caesarian operation because Dave’s heartbeat turned to 60 beats a minute. What a life full of pizzazz! Moving on…

Bone Screening Program

Caltrate Plus offered free bone screening in their booth. Bone Screening uses axial transmission technology that measures the speed of sound waves propagating along the bone’s maximal strength axis. For this purpose, bone mineral desity (BMD) will be measured in the wrist to screen for bone changes that can assess and/or predict osteoporosis. The test is considered safe and will be completed in a few minutes with no radiation exposure.

Measurement Report

As explained by Ms. Jane of Caltrate Plus, the operator will put a jelly before screening my distal radius (the side of my left wrist) using ultrasound.



SOS (Speed of Sound) used was 4039[m/sec]
T-Score is the number of standard deviations from the mean of healthy young adults
Z-Score is the number of standard deviations from the mean of age matched population

The green region is the normal range (-1.0 and up). My result? -1.30, which falls under the yellow region, the Osteopenia. The difference of that -0.3 made me closer to Osteoporosis. Good thing, I’m already taking calcium for quite awhile now (from my own initiative because like I said, I don’t hate milk, but I’m not a fan) before having this exam.

The Good Stuff

Caltrate Plus contains Calcium to strengthen bones, Vitamin D3 to help calcium absorption, magnesium necessary for strong teeth and bones, and Zinc, Copper, Manganese for skeletal development. Caltrate Plus can be taken with other multivitamins and is shaped for easier swallowing.

Pfizer Caltrate Plus has no sugar, lactose, salt and preservatives. It’s a combination of calcium, Vitamin D3 and minerals.
Calcium (Calcium Carbonate) 600mg (1499mg), Cholecalciferal (Vitamin D3) 200IU, Copper (Cupric Oxide) 1mg (1.25mg), Magnesium (Magnesium Oxide) 50mg (82.89mg), Manganese (Manganese  Sulfate Monohydrate) 1.8mg (5.54mg) and Zinc (Zinc Oxide) 7.5mg (9.34mg).


Caltrate Plus is for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. This can be taken twice a day with food or as prescribed. I personally take this once a day as I’m taking other multivitamins and maintenance for my pizzazz. What made me positive about this is that, I won a box of Caltrate Plus from the event! Mom can now carry a toddler on her back with a baby on her arms! #mommymundostrongmom

No comments:

Post a Comment