Five Health Conditions Tested in Newborn Screening
CH (Congenital Hypothyroidism) - when not cured would cause mental retardation
- Congenital Hypothyrodism is the result of absence of Thyroid Hormone that is important for physical and mental growth of the baby. If in two weeks this health condition was not treated, this may cause short and mentally retarded child
CAH (Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia) - when not cured would cause death
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia is a condition where in salt is absent in the body, internal dehydration and high male sex hormones for both baby girls and boys. If not treated, the baby may die 7-14 days after birth
GAL (Galactosemia) - when not cured would cause death or cataract
- Galactosemia is a condition where the body cannot process galactose; a kind of sugar present on milk. Consumption of galactose will cause future health problems like damaged liver and brain, and may cause early cataract
PKU (Phenylketonuria) - when not cured would cause mental retardation
- Phenylketonuria is a condition where the body has no ability to process phenylalanine; an important element of protein that could lead to mental retardation if not treated early
Glucose-6-Phosphate Deficiency - when not cured would cause anemia and/or kernicterus
- G6PD def is when the body is lack of G6PD enzyme. This will cause Hemolytic Anemia if the baby is exposed to harmful medicine, chemical and food that is high on oxidative substance.
Note to parents that while waiting for the NBS results, avoid exposing the baby to naphthalene or moth balls, and make sure that all medicines given are prescribed by doctors. If these conditions are treated early, the baby will be alive and normal.